Monday, September 2, 2013

Creativity is Cooking

I have often thought that writing is like cooking.  It takes a while to perfect the recipe.  I have gone from working on the ever evolving novel to short and sweet kids picture books.  I needed to have some sense of completion as I perfect my writing style.  The moment where the text meets the pictures is simply thrilling as my little picture books come to life.  Knowing that my ideas are influencing art is almost intoxicating.

Cooking up a batch of books is only half the battle.  Knowing my audience is the other half.  After viewing the works of other recent e-book authors, I have decided to distinguish myself as the one who keeps in mind the 'every child'.  Every child is unique and different.  But all too often, most of the writings appears to be catering to a select group.  Things are white washed as character after character emerges as a white child. 

My goal is to create a collection of original picture books with the 'every child' concept in mind.  I am cooking up a batch of books at this very moment.  Now, if I could only find an illustrator willing to work just as hard to help me fulfill this dream.