Friday, January 6, 2012

Editing! Editing! and you guessed it more Editing!

Have you ever written something you were so sure was perfect?  Only to go back the next day and say "Why did I write that?"  or "Why didn't I catch that?" 

Yeah well, that's what happened to me last night around 9:30 PM, trying to review my story once again before it went on promotion.  I had a panic attack realizing a couple of errors and decided to stream line my story to Aquatica even more by taking out a whole chapter {the Christmas scene} and refine it so that Kyle received his adventure pack on his birthday.  So to compensate, I added the rest of the last chapter ... the battle scene.   

Then I thought, ok it's as ready as it'll be ... only to discover this morning that I still had a couple of mistakes in the manuscript.  I think there comes a point when an author actually becomes blind to his own mistakes because we know the story so well that even when we come upon a mistake we just hear the story in our head. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  All of this, the entire writing process frustrates Kevin, my oldest, because he imagines that all the great writers of the world sit down and whip out a masterpiece with never, ever changing a word.  I don't really see that happening ... of course I could be wrong there could be a 'Mozart' type author out there.  But it's definately not me!