Thursday, January 12, 2012

Perfectionism, OCD, and the Obsessed Author

I wonder how most perfectionists cope in an imperfect world, with an imperfect self.  Is OCD just another name for perfectionists?  I don't really know the answer to these questions.  I am an imperfect perfectionist.  There was a time before I had children that I had a place for everything and everything in its place.  4 kids, 6 cats, 2 dogs and 1 husband later, I have had to let go of the idea of a neat and tidy anything and just focus on how NOT to go crazy.  

But now that I am writing again, I have a compulsive routine.  Get up, check kindle stats, check my 3 email accounts {yes, I have 3 accounts...long story}, check website...is it still up and running or did the internet fairy snatch it in the middle of the night, check blog stats ... and so on.  Re-read what I wrote the night before, is it good enough, is it complete, does it need tweeking?  All of these things I do BEFORE I ever move forward.  And I do all of them BEFORE I do anything else.  Sometimes I even annoy myself

With all the extra care I take, you'd be surprised at all the mistakes I make.  Oodles and oodles of them, which of course feeds the need to be compulsive and starts the cycle all over again!  Alas, maybe one day it will have all been worth it.