Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Read Across America

In observance of Read Across America, celebrated on March 2nd (Dr. Seuss' Birthday) ~ I provided books for my son's 4th grade class and his previous 3rd grade class. Every child received a copy of Salty Summer, book 1 in the Nautical Mile Series.   

The purpose of the Read Across America initiative is to motivate children to read.  Reading is an important factor in student achievement.  Research has shown that children who are motivated and spend more time reading do better in school.  I think that's true because I can see it in my kids. 

I also wanted to keep my promise to Mrs. Kellum.  Last year, when Salty Summer was in production ~ I promised I would bring a copy in for each student.  Well, Salty Summer took forever to be released and it was well into September before the books were available.  I would spend the next 6 months tweeking books 2 - 4 and ultimately crafted a new ending for Salty Summer, interlocking it with the other books in the series.  In wanting to put my best foot forward, I shared the revised version of Salty Summer with the children.  I do hope the kids enjoy the book.   

Read On!