Friday, September 14, 2012

A Look at Reading & Writing / An Essay by My Son

This essay was written by my wonderful 18 year old son.  I thought it was interesting and insightful, so I decided to post it. 

Reading and Writing: Are they really that exciting?
By: Kevin McCartney  
CHARGE!!!!! And Earth’s last stand had begun.  Have you ever read something that has transported you to another world, a different time, or in the midst of battle?  Great authors can make you feel the rush, the excitement, and the adrenaline.  A good book can ignite your imagination.  It’s for this very reason that I enjoy reading.  I love reading books that have the power to send my mind off on an adventure into an alternate dimension.   

When I was in the first grade I wasn’t a very good reader and my teacher made sure I knew it.  I felt so inadequate.  Reading was as terrible as getting my teeth drilled.  As a result, my mom had me repeat the first grade.  When I went in on the first day of school, I was prepared for round two with this most horrible teacher.  I even had the same classroom.  But to my surprise, I had a new teacher.  She was encouraging, inspiring, and just plain wonderful.  She was actually on TV for the Reading Rainbow.  Her name was Ms. Harriet Smith.  Yes, I still remember this wonderful lady.

Reading became my life and I loved every second of it.  As I went through school, the books got bigger, the plots more intriguing, and the adventures awe inspiring.  I remember earning the golden library card in the fifth grade which enabled me to check out three books at a time.  What an accomplishment that was!  I felt like Charlie from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  In the seventh grade, I was finally able to finish reading the Harry Potter series.   

As much as I love reading, writing is a whole different story.  I have to write an essay? AHHHH!!!!!  It’s like the bubonic plague.  Having to write to me is a fate worse than death.  My disdain toward writing started when I was in the third grade when I had to write a letter to my pen pal in a foreign country.   

When I got the assignment I thought, this is so cool.  How many people can really say they get to write to someone in another country?  Really, how many?  I went home and was beaming with excitement.  I finished my letter that very night and turned it in the next day.  Half-way through the day, my teacher came over to me and to my astonishment she told me I had to re-write the letter!  I thought no big deal I can re-write it and turn it in, again, the very next day.  Just like before, my teacher came to me and I had to re-write it, again!  I couldn’t believe what was going on.  I had to write that stupid letter ten times!!!  I was in utter disbelief. 

I know that teachers must teach and a part of that is helping their students critic their work.  But as a kid, it feels like they are sucking the life out of my brain.