Thursday, February 2, 2012

Shedding the Funk

I've been in a foggy funk lately.  I haven't been totally unproductive ... just ignoring my blog.  During this month's retrospective funk, I've been evaluating my options in publishing the Nautical Mile books with Create Space.  I found this process to be much easier than I anticipated and FREE!  I've uploaded the first 4 books and already I am waiting for my proofs to be received in the mail.  Total time from creation to proof ... about 1 week.  Compared to that same process with Tate Publishing ... just over 11 months.

What did Create Space do for me?  Some might ask ...
Well, with their user friendly software I was able to turn my e-books into paperback books.  They offer pre-formatted files to assist the average know nothing user (a/k/a ... me).  So all I had to do was point and click to get my files ready for print.  They also assigned an ISBN number for each book in less than 5 minutes!  Their cover creator software is also pretty cool and I couldn't resist playing with a few newly formatted covers, just for kicks. 

All of that was for FREE!  I'm still in shock.  Considering Tate Publishing (which claims to only publish about 4% of the manuscripts submitted to them) required a $4,000 author investment from me to publish Salty Summer.  Which by the way has a totally new ending, so it interlocks with my other books.  If anyone ever asks why the publishing industry is changing this is definitely one reason why:  Publishing houses of any size gobble up time and money.  If the author has to take control of writing and marketing, then why not publishing and editing?