Sunday, December 11, 2011

Blissful Re-Writes

I was recently tasked with writing a synopsis for the Nautical Mile Series.  A synopsis is a plot overview of your story.  It is the action part of the story without all the descriptive frilly words that authors use to tell the story, itself.  I found this to be more difficult than I imagined and of course did it wrong. 

I have since re-written my synopsis gaining greater understanding and appreciation for what a synopsis is and how to write it.  So I thought I'd share what I've learned.

To the author a synopsis is a guide on how to keep your story action packed and a good tool to ensure you stick with your main plot arc with your central character.  And from what I've just discovered, it should definately be written BEFORE you even write your story.  I have used my after-the-fact synopsis to identify gaping holes in my storyline ... which I am in the process of correcting. 

To the agent a synopsis is a selling tool.  It is the blue print to your story and helps an agent quickly and clearly sell the idea of your original story.  A well written synopsis will SELL your book.  It is that important!

If you haven't written a synopsis and you are working on a book, stop right now and do one, perfect it, use it to identify the areas in your storyline that need strengthening BEFORE you waste alot of time doing things wrong! 

I had an epiphany this morning with my characters as a result of working on my synopsis: where they come from, what motivates them, what drives them - and I had a major story breakthrough that will make all the fretting worthwhile.  I can't stop thinking about this revelation (it's that good).  I am getting so engrossed in my story and its many complicated layers.  That I will be happily writing in the wee hours of the morning ... again!