Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cover Design

I redesigned the book cover for Fishy Fall.  I can do it for about $5.  Just purchase a royalty free picture from a site online.  I use bigstockphoto.com, drop the photo into my word document - using the insert photo tab.  Add my text - then take a picture of what's on my computer screen with a little gadget I got for free, an app through snapa shot.  Voila!  Instant cover. 


Granted it's not like Salty Summer, but it's the best I can do right now. 

The covers I create work great on Amazon.com so long as they are 500w x 800h (pixels).  For some reason when I take a snapa shot it reduces the number of pixels.  Barnes and Noble has higher resolution requirements.  I just talked to a local print shop, Roxy told me she could increase the digital resolution of all four book covers for $30 by using her special software.  So I will have that done and get my book covers posted on Barnes and Noble.  You can manipulate pictures at home if you have the right software  ... which I don't.  Barnes and Noble requires 750w x 1000h with a resolution of 72 dpi. 

All that techno mumbo jumbo means you're better off buying a good quality picture to start with, probably medium size.  On bigstock that's $4.99.  Play around with different text options until you've developed your own personal style for your cover.