Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Ramblings

Lately, I've been surfing other author's blogs to find out just how they write.  I've discovered that we all do it slightly differently.  But you basically have to invest yourself in your ideas and develope them over time to create something new and exciting.

Before I started working on The Nautical Mile Series, I just wrote whatever popped into my head.  Actually Salty Summer, Book 1 - is written like that.  I didn't know anything about main plot arcs, obstacles of increasing intensity, protagonists, antagonists, or voice.  But in writing and reading about writing, I am learning and growing.  Hopefully that growth can be seen while reading the books in The Nautical Mile Series. 

I did a fair amount of research on Greek and Arthurian Legends while working on Secret Spring, Book 4.  I incorporated some of those elements into my story line.  The Circle of Trust is modeled after The Round Table.  Of course, mine has a Sea Horse mosiac in the center and sits in a hidden chamber of an underwater pyramid in Aquatica.  But the inspiration for it came from the Knights of the Round Table.  As did the Aqua Defenders, well they are sort of a blend of Knights of the Round Table and the League of Extraordinary Men. 

Wild Winter, Book 3 - also includes elements from Indian folklore.  A rainbow warrior is summoned when the Earth is in danger.  The character that comes to Kyle, 'Lone Feather' is modeled after this rainbow warrior.

I also like to include enviromental themes into the storyline.  Kyle is hailed as the water child and is sought out by King Neptune to help with the Chesapeake Bay.  The Bay incodentally is the gateway to Aquatica ... the underwater realm of Neptune.  Books 2, 3, 4, and 5 have various natural and fantasy elements fused together for a touch of magical realism.

Times up kiddies ... got errands to run.  I'll pop in again later.  Bye!