Sunday, November 27, 2011

Revised Query Letter

I've revised my query letter, trying to summarize my vision for The Nautical Mile Series.  I think adding a bit more about the story line and what I hope to achieve will shine through this revised letter ...

Revised Query Letter:

Sam,

The Nautical Mile Series is a story struggling to be told.  It is one that is baptized in water, shrouded in mystery and as old as salt itself.  It begins unassuming enough with a simple tale about a family and four brothers in Salty Summer.  Readers meet the McCartney boys and follow them on one nautical adventure after another.  Characters grow in depth in Fishy Fall, where Kyle stands out as the little hero that could.  The plot thickens in Wild Winter as Kyle is hailed as the water child after meeting a ghostly Indian with a strange and mysterious warning.  A new beginning beckons in Secret Spring as Kyle is transported to the king’s court to meet the Aqua Defenders.  Mysteries trapped under a million gallons of water, finally surface in Dark Dawn as the boys discover their grandmother’s hidden diary and Kyle investigates the Rise of the Stinging Nettles.  Mirror Image shows the other half and in doing so, reveals the totality.  This story totally flips, giving readers a glimpse at an age old battle between good and evil.  The Nautical Mile Series is just beginning, so hop onboard for a ride! 

My nautically themed stories are written for 3rd – 5th graders and resemble the Magic Tree House Series in writing style and audience.  At this point, The Nautical Mile Series consists of 6 books: Salty Summer, Book 1; Fishy Fall, Book 2; Wild Winter, Book 3; Secret Spring, Book 4, Dark Dawn, Book 5 (presently being written); and Mirror Image, Book 6 (just a sketch at this point). Each juvenile reader is just over 10,000 words in length.  I envision the series growing to an indefinite number of books, with the possibility of an educational companion series entitled Nautical Know How.  I have also sketched out an entire product line to go with the series.  My mission is to help children discover the mysteries of the Chesapeake Bay in a fun and fantastic way.  My market research has led me to believe there is no other children’s series quite like it on the market and it is being presented as a total package to you.   

Each book is set in and around the Chesapeake Bay.  As you know, the Bay is the largest estuary in the United States and has been the topic of hot political debate.  Water conservation for the next generation weighs heavily on every educators mind.  In fact, the creation of the Mid-Atlantic Elementary and Secondary Education Environmental Literacy Campaign is presently underway.  My stories are woven around various nautical themes but the central theme is that Kyle becomes a water child and a member of an elite conservation force known as the Aqua Defenders.  Every story is wrapped in layers that are both educational and fantastic.   

I have developed a web page at www.nauticalmilebooks.com to showcase my work.  My blog is receiving international attention (nauticalmileseries.blogspot.com).  While the numbers are still low, readers from over 10 countries visit my site.  I am presently sponsoring the Chesapeake Bay Revival Coloring Contest, in partnership with the Chesapeake Bay Trust, Chesapeake Conservation Corp, and the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.

In my excitement to be a ‘real’ author, I have made several missteps.  The first book, Salty Summer, was published by Tate Publishing and released October 25, 2011.  After investing a total of $4,000 in publishing the book, I have come to realize that Tate Publishing is not a traditional publisher with mainstream marketing ties.  It seems to be a hybrid self-publisher of sorts.  I uploaded books 1-4 onto Kindle on October 29, 2011.  But in wanting to bring my story to children everywhere, I know that it will have to be published in mainstream media.     

I am including a writing sample for your review.  If you feel this is something that your agency would like to help me perfect and market, please feel free to contact me.      

Wishing You Well,
Donna D. McCartney